Is resin epoxy toxic?

Epoxy resin is toxic to marine life and ecosystems. If liquid or uncured epoxy is disposed of in sewers, drains, or in your home trash, these habitats and creatures can die. In short, never throw uncured liquid or epoxy into the trash or dump it down a drain. Less than 10% of epoxy users react when overexposed to epoxy resin or hardener.

The most common reaction is contact dermatitis or skin inflammation. Both epoxy resin and hardener can cause acute contact dermatitis. The discomfort can be serious, but it usually goes away after you stop having contact with the irritant. Repeated skin contact with resins and hardeners can also cause chronic contact dermatitis, which is usually milder but long-lasting.

If left untreated for long periods, it can progress to eczema, a form of dermatitis that can include swelling, blistering, and itching. Partially cured epoxy sanding powder, if allowed to settle on the skin, can also cause contact dermatitis. Most epoxy chemicals and their fumes can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. Severe headaches are often the result of these irritations.

Be careful not to splash liquids into your eye: it is by far the worst case scenario and can cause serious damage. However, if this occurs, rinse your eyes with water and seek medical attention immediately after that. To help you always be careful, cautious and respectful of resin, here are some of the best safety tips that await you to always approach resin safely. As long as you work in a well-ventilated space, ArtResin is safe for home use, as it contains no VOCs or fumes (again, because there are no solvents).

To prevent epoxy resin from coming into contact with the eyes in the first place, wear protective goggles or goggles. You see, epoxy resin is considered non-toxic since the risk of damage caused by ingestion, as well as inhalation, is very small. To use the resin effectively, you must mix it with a hardener (measured correctly) and this will create a chemical reaction that will bond the hardener molecules to the resin in a hard plastic substance. Passing a flame quickly and systematically over the entire resin surface will eliminate any trapped bubbles and will not cause a flammability hazard.

HOWEVER, this changes if foreign products are added to the mix. Unless you're hypersensitive to epoxy resin components, your headaches can have a different cause. This product is described as non-toxic, non-flammable and non-hazardous, and is used for various resin arts, such as jewelry making, etc. Well, if you are not allergic to epoxy resin or any of its components, inhaling its fumes is not dangerous.

Once Craft Resin has fully cured and hardened, your resin project can be safely used as a food contact surface. Also keep in mind that sanding or cutting resin parts that are not fully cured could cause dust to enter the eyes, mouth, or lungs. Crafting with resin is fun and can give you incredible results, but safety is key when trying any new project, especially if you work with materials that are hazardous if used incorrectly.